October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Stephon Marbury to team up with Asi Taulava, PBA stars in charity game in August

Go down

Stephon Marbury to team up with Asi Taulava, PBA stars in charity game in August

Post by ramieljosh18 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:33 am

InterAKTV/Roy Afable
Due to the outpour of love and support given him during his trip to Manila last June, two-time NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury is set to make a quick return to Philippine soil – this time to participate in a charity game in August.

Marbury came to the country for negotiations for his Starbury shoe and apparel line which he plans to launch in the last quarter of 2013.

In his return, he is set to team up with ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) MVP Asi Taulava in a game that will raise money for the National Press Club of the Philippines and the Ahon Pamilyang Lansangan Foundation.

Presented by Team Reyes and L5R Events Production, the `A Day Of Love: Stephon Marbury Gives Back’ basketball game for a cause will be held on August 7, 6 p.m., at the AIMS covered court.

Marbury and Taulava will spearhead `Team RockStar’, which will feature several PBA and ABL stars, in a match against the Barako Bull Energy Cola of the PBA.

The two will be joined by PBA stars like Dondon Hontiveros, Ronald Tubid, Dorian Pena, Willie Miller, Alex Crisano, Chris Ross, Billy Mamaril, Renren Ritualo and Harvey Carey. Sol Mercado will help call the shots from the sidelines.

Also participating will be ABL players Leo Avenido, a teammate of Taulava’s at San Miguel, and Jai Reyes of the Saigon Heat, as well as the sports scribes’ Pakitang Gilas squad, the reigning NPC inter-beat champions.

Side events, like a three-point shootout challenge, will be held before the game proper.

“The reception the National Press Club gave to Stephon, and meeting the children and families being helped by Ahon, touched Stephon so much, that’s why he didn’t think twice in agreeing to be a part of this fundraising event,” said Sports Network Management’s Sheryl Reyes, who serves as Marbury’s agent in Asia.

“They showed love for Stephon, so he’s giving back,” Reyes added.

Marbury, a first-round pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, earlier promised to set aside a certain percentage of Starbury’s proceeds, once it hits the Philippine market, for the NPC’s educational and medical assistance fund for its members and their families, and children, under the care of Ahon, afflicted with Biliary Atresia needing immediate liver transplant.

He, however, did not wait until his products start selling locally and helped conceptualize an event that can quickly raise funds to help finance the children’s medical expenses.

One procedure costs about four million pesos, not including post-operative care.

“I am a parent, I have three kids. I can only imagine what they (parents) are going through seeing their children suffer like that. I will help as many people as I can, in what little way I can,” Marbury, who now plays for the Beijing Ducks in the Chinese Basketball Association, said in a previous interview.

Some of the money that will be raised will also go to the Asian Institute of Maritime Studies (AIMS) in Pasay City, where Marbury held his fans day last June, for campus enhancements.

“When you show love you get love in abundance,” expressed Marbury.

Tickets are priced at P200 and P500 each. Atleta and Jersey Haven are the event’s official outfitters. For other details, queries may be coursed through teaml5r@yahoo.com or 0915-4134083.
ramieljosh18
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down